About Me

My photo
Forty-something lover of Doom, Death, Thrash, Technical, Brutal, Black, Power, Grind, Progressive, NWOBHM, Industrial, Viking, Drone, Ambient, Sludge, Speed and Alternative metal styles..Sure, I like other genres of music but this blog isn't about that...

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cannibal Corpse, 1349,Skeletonwitch and Lecherous Nocturne, 5-03-10

So I wasn't that into going to Cannibal Corpse show on May 3, 2010.  Truth be told, I really like cannibal corpse.  But considering how little money I had, I just wasn't sure if I could justify going.  What pushed me over the edge to actually attending the show was that my stepson, who has seen the band numerous times, said it would be a great show.  So we drove down to the Gothic and there was quite a mix of people outside waiting in line.  Luckily, I purchased our tickets online the day before as it seemed that the show was going to sellout

It turned out that Cannibal Corpse was going to be filming the concert for a future live DVD release, so there were all kinds of official looking camera types lurking around the venue.  I debated purchasing a shirt from the show but thought better of it because where exactly can you wear a cannibal corpse T-shirt anyway?  Their shirts are fabulously obscene with zombies performing cunnilingus, bodies torn to smithereens, disintegrating corpses you know, the typical obnoxious metal shirt.  Cannibal corpse perfected this sort of covert revolutionary T-shirt design.

The venue filled fairly quickly yet I was able to spot members from the local band Havok and goof off with them laughing about just how obnoxious the T-shirts were and how I would be unable to ever wear the one at my daughter's parent teacher conference.  I started to feel a bit excited about the fact that the camera crews were setting up and the audience buzz was starting to increase.  First up was a band called Lecherous Nocturne.  They were fairly standard death metal and really showed how to death metal can sound boring and trite.

Skeletonwitch is one of my favorite blackened thrash set.  Of those around me, it seemed that I  was the only one to have their records.  They put on a ripping set and implored the audience to "drink beer!" and "smoke weed" which was already in effect considering the contact high I received during their set.

1349 was next and of course, being as it was a black metal band, the fog machines and strobe lights were in full force.  The way the lead singer was headbanging, he looked like an awkward scarecrow careening to his left side.  It was good black metal but I am a bit too punk for the theatrics.

Cannibal Corpse came in to thunderous chants of their name and informed us that this would be filmed.  Corpsegrinder Fisher was rude lewd and banging his head in a furious way.  I wondered what the regular folk looking camera people thought of his antics.

Anyway, I wrote this review MONTHS after the fact; too much drama for months but the wheel is spinning upwards...Hopefully more reviews to come

No comments:

Post a Comment