About Me

My photo
Forty-something lover of Doom, Death, Thrash, Technical, Brutal, Black, Power, Grind, Progressive, NWOBHM, Industrial, Viking, Drone, Ambient, Sludge, Speed and Alternative metal styles..Sure, I like other genres of music but this blog isn't about that...

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Devildriver,Suffocation,Goatwhore and Thy Will Be Done show 1-16-09 Gothic Theater

So, this wasn't my first metal show; I suppose that was Ozzfest 2004.  In that show, I was able to see a ton of bands I liked; Lamb of God, Slayer(responsible for my entry to the extreme scene), Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Hatebreed, God Forbid, etc. I knew what to expect...A ton of pot smoke, a circle pit of varying size, hair, y'know a metal show.  I had just purchased a new pair of Doc Marten's.  This was  the show to break them in...I felt secure and assured.

I met a guy while going in who was totally into Devildriver.  His name was Brian and he remind me of a young Brian Dennehy.   Me, I was there for Suffocation and Goatwhore. As an African-American metalhead,  I find it reassuring that two of the members of Suffocation are black (Mike Smith and Terrance Hobbs)...Silly, I know but there is a bit of racism in the world of metal.  Some bands, (I am looking squarely at you, Arghoslent) and even genres ('black' metal, ironically enough) have been racially intolerant.  Now, before you get your briefs in a bunch, (or your corpsepaint running from crying),not all black metal nor a majority of metalheads I find are racist.  Still, I highly doubt anyone who would tour with Suffocation would be racist and it makes for a relaxed show for me...(Someday, I'll tell you about the NSBM fans at the Marduk show).

So, Brian, the guy into Devildriver was into Thy Will Be Done, Goatwhore and of course Devildriver...He was not into Suffocation.  When we talked, he definitely mentioned Death was not his genre.  In his defense, the sound made all the Suffo songs sound similar; I assured him it was different on album but he was unconvinced.

Anyway, a good show overall; mic kept cutting out which, I am not sure, but I don't think that the bands knew that.  Thy Will Be Done were energetic but didn't have any merch.  Much respect that the bands had for us and for the pit..."If a person falls, pick them up" was said by more than one frontman.  The cynic in me thought it had to do with insurance issues that the Gothic Theater had.

The lead singer of Thy Will Be Done, whose name I do not know (MERCH fellas!) wore an Entombed shirt which earned a bit of respect ('Left Hand Path' kicks serious tail!).

What struck me at this show is how stellar the drummers and bassists were of ALL of the bands.  The low ends on the speakers were easily heard but the solos were few and didn't come off well with the system. I know Sammy Duet of Goatwhore (and Acid Bath!) can play but it was hard to hear.

Nice to see the lead singer of Goatwhore (Ben Falgoust) selling his own merch; I bought a t-shirt and shook his hand while leaving....

Frank of Suffocation was entertaining; slapping himself, doing the hand shaking thing he does and wagging his tongue.  He told us to prepare for the apocalypse and get guns to which a guy near me said to "shoot a liberal"...I laughed and thought does he think the right wing is down with death metal or something?!?

Devildriver put on a good show with plenty of banter from Dez Fafara who is Dio short (thoughts out with Dio during his cancer battle).  I'm short too, so its not a slam but in all the pix I've seen, he seems imposing....Shot from the ground I guess....He reminds me of my  old Jiu-Jitsu teacher with his look...It automatically meant he got a pass from me, superficial I know.

Overall on a 5 star scale, I give it a solid 3 stars. The sound was a problem and I would have liked more energy from the crowd.  There were some oldsters like me there, probably to see Suffocation...It is never a pretty sight to see a balding metalhead holding onto long hair...(That wasn't a factor on the rating though!)

Keep it metallic...

*Next show, Nile, Immolation, Krisiun, Dreaming Dead*

No comments:

Post a Comment