About Me

My photo
Forty-something lover of Doom, Death, Thrash, Technical, Brutal, Black, Power, Grind, Progressive, NWOBHM, Industrial, Viking, Drone, Ambient, Sludge, Speed and Alternative metal styles..Sure, I like other genres of music but this blog isn't about that...

Monday, January 18, 2010

Let us begin as we hope to continue...

This is the first ever entry for "My Metal Year"; a blog detailing how I am dealing with turning forty by seeing as many metal concerts as possible. A sort of mid-life crisis done metallic...and a place to discuss whatever comes up in this process...

In the past few years, I have done a strange dance with the world of metal...I, unlike many folks, got into this music late; well into my twenties. It didn't take firm hold until the disillusionment of my teen years and young adulthood gave way to the the malaise of adulthood. In other words, when I actually had to start dealing with real-world $#*%, my sheltered, aversion-based naivete became a small but growing kernel of hostility to a world that probably just doesn't have to be the way it is save for human greed, hatred and ignorance.

Perhaps, I have embraced metal as a way of catharsis; a way of being able to puke out all the wretched abuses of humanity...That sounds a bit simplistic (and young, strangely enough) but its that bluntness, that directness that has drawn me to metal in this my most stressful, busy, neurotic and depressed period. Its a white hot beacon of hope in the swirling chaos. This 'dark night of the soul' has a soundtrack and that soundtrack is metal.

(...I am listening to Buzzov-en right now, so perhaps my view as I write this is slanted to the misanthropic. I also am coming down with some sinus thing and listening to the sludgy Buzzov-en is oddly soothing.)

In this blog, I will do some reviews, some discussion, some meandering around all sorts of topics built around this, My Metal Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment